News: “NETTAB 2018 - Building a FAIR Bioinformatics environment” Call for Abstracts.
May 3, 2018
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS FOR ORAL COMMUNICATIONS NETTAB 2018 is organised in collaboration with ELIXIR Nodes of the UK and Italy as well as the Italian Society of Bioinformatics, BITS. The main focus will be on FAIR principles in bioinformatics, a challenging topic that we hope will attract many researchers from all over the world, including but not limited to, Bioinformaticians, Biologists, Computer Scientists, and others working or interested in the above research scope. The FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship, published in 2016, has sparked worldwide interest across the biology community: from grassroots to policymakers, and from data providers to publishers. In order to make the FAIR concept a reality, we need to answer many questions, like: What is FAIRness? How to make FAIR data a reality? How to facilitate the translation to FAIR data? How to measure it? On these topics, there are many ongoing projects, such as EOSCpilot, FAIRmetrics, FAIRsharing, and GO-FAIR. Now is the perfect time to discuss on these topics and related actions, and to move on from FAIR principles to FAIR practice. The workshop will provide an excellent environment and a range of opportunities to present and discuss methods, theoretical approaches, algorithms, tools, platforms, practical applications and experiences of FAIR in Bioinformatics.
TOPICS Methods, theoretical approaches, algorithms, tools, platforms, practical applications and experiences of FAIR in Bioinformatics including, but not limited to:
- Specification and revision of components, conceptual issues.
- Criticisms and review of FAIR principles
- FAIR Web Services, metadata for FAIR tools, revision of standard formats.
- FAIRification best practices and training
- Experiences of FAIR methods
- Best practices and lessons learned from domains outside bioinformatics.
- FAIRness validation and correction tools.
- FAIR metrics: Levels of FAIRness, FAIRness scores, FAIRness minimal levels.
- Integration and interoperation of FAIR data and systems.
- FAIR and its demonstrated contribution to open science and reproducible results
- FAIR principles and practices of research outputs other than data: workflows, scripts, tools, models, training materials, SOPs etc
- Surveys of FAIR resources and methods
- Examples of FAIR in practice and the benefits of FAIR resources
- Related initiatives to FAIR: for example Data Commons and EOSC
- The economics of FAIR
- Incentives for FAIR stewardship throughout the data lifecycle
The topics of NETTAB 2018 also include the usual topics of NETTAB workshops.
INSTRUCTIONS AND DEADLINES Submission of abstracts for oral communications: Sunday May 20, 2018 Notification: Monday June 18, 2018 Abstracts of maximum four A4 pages must be submitted through EasyChair at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=nettab2018
See full instructions at: http://www.igst.it/nettab/2018/submissions/instructions-for-authors/
Visit the website at: http://www.igst.it/nettab/2018/